Sunday, November 7, 2010

No wonder!

Ethan's been trying to pick his nose...yes, normally I would be freaked out whenever a child starts picking at his or her nose but I was so excited that Ethan even knew how to do this! I know that this is not the "milestone" that people would want to celebrate but with Ethan, everything that he does brings such an immense joy to me. Don't say that I am crazy...my bliss is different from other mothers' happiness.

The reason that I get so cheeky is because I love to see how independent Ethan is becoming. He used to let me get him to blow his nose with a tissue but since he does not have a runny nose, it's really hard to keep him from being congested without clearing his pathway. I showed Ethan how to put his index finger in his nostrils and let him flick his finger slightly so that he is not pushing his whole finger into his nostrils. I thought that I was teaching him something useful, in case I'm not around to help him! Another note, Ethan hates to have his hands dirty and would always want me to wipe them. Now, he takes a napkin on his own and wipes his hands and face by himself. My little monkey sees and does what he sees.

On Thursday, I noticed that Ethan returned home from school with a runny nose. Ethan was pretty fussy with his left nostril. Friday, when the nurse called for me to pick Ethan up from the school, I was concerned that it was for something really bad. The nurse had contacted my husband and he called me, all freaked out, of course. When I arrived at the school, the nurse said that Ethan sounded congested but his lungs sounded clear. She wasn't sure of what to make of Ethan's congestion and wanted to be safe by calling me. I thanked her and said that Ethan did have a runny nose when he returned home from school on Thursday. It was good any which way because I love having my baby boy with me. When I arrived in his classroom, Ethan was pushing a chair around. He saw me and ran to me to give me a huge, which I welcome every moment possible! We went to McDonald's for lunch and came home to relax. I wasn't feeling well either so we ended up just waiting for Marisa to return home from school.

Friday evening, when my baby went to sleep, I looked into his left nostril and found a huge white something up his nose. I finally was able to retrieve it with a tweezers and it looked and felt like tissue papers or even a huge ball of white rice! Thank goodness that Ethan was in deep sleep, otherwise, I would not be able to even touch his nose! I don't know if Ethan had stuffed his nose with tissue paper or something else but no wonder he was fussing with his nostrils all day! Once I cleared his left nostril, his breathing sounded so clear! As I'm writing this blog, it sounds so bizarre but boy, I was amazed with how huge this piece of something was that was clogging Ethan's breathing...I really need to watch this little monkey to make certain that he is not shoving things up his nose that does not belong there! Yes, Ethan's tried his daddy's nose spray. He's tried the suction bulb thing. Is this just a boy thing? I don't remember Marisa getting into things like this. I need to be more careful in showing Ethan anything that I don't want him to imitate...my little monkey bear, mommy loves you and thank you for making my day so full of sunshine!

No comments: