Thursday, November 4, 2010

Autumn days...anticipation of the holidays

Autumn in my heart ~ I love this time of the year when things seem to be crisp, clear, calm, inviting, chilly, rainy, warm, bright sunshine, perfect sunset, a beautiful harvest moon and a new found hope for the up and coming winter and eventually spring and summer.

When I was young, I always loved the first sign of fall! The first day of school, walking to Hutchinson from our town home on Chamblee Place. What I remember was the feeling of hope that life could only get better once school started. I hated summer, I hated that we were stuck at home. I hated that I felt so alone. But in the fall, when the early morning dew and the crispness in the air gave me a little glimpse of why life was so precious. Even when the trees became so bare & when time just seems to have stood still, I remember that if God could make such beauty in this world, then He has plans for me as well. I was grateful that I knew that God does not make mistakes and that only good would prevail.

Autumn~ leaves turning bright golden red, orange, yellow...almost like sparkling gold and rubies and at times, like diamonds when the sun shines on these leaves at just the right angle and moment. Even now, my daughter would proclaim how wonderful these leaves and trees are when we do our little drive around town. I'm glad that she is able to appreciate the beauty that surrounds us. I'm also trying to teach Ethan to appreciate this as well. We would stop to look at fallen leaves to see the differences in their shapes and colors. Ethan would stare at it and then would look at me in profound confusion. Hey, he's still too young to understand why I look at these leaves with so much admiration and so much hope! I have such an overwhelming joy in my heart that my children are able to enjoy their childhood! What an immense feeling that takes a hold of me when I imagine living my childhood through my son's and daughter's! I pray that they will always have this feeling throughout their lives. A feeling of wonder. A feeling of hope. A feeling of love. A feeling of gratitude. A feeling of completeness. A feeling of safety. A feeling of magic. A feeling of joy. A feeling of happiness. A feeling of pure bliss.

Something as simple as the leaves falling from these trees helps me appreciate how life does endure and eventually prevail even in the worse conditions. These trees may look lifeless but behold when these trees bloom in the spring! What an amazing sight that we will be a witness to!

No comments: