Thursday, December 2, 2010

Second day of December - pushing and pulling

My universe is off today or was it yesterday? I can't believe that it's Thursday already and the week is going by too quickly. Ethan is doing well so far this week...he's been waking up early enough to go to school. Ethan was a bit tired this morning but I don’t blame him. It was so cold to be out of bed and to get Ethan dressed for school. Ethan kept calling for daddy to come and see him while he was drinking his milk and having his nebulizer treatment. I’ve been giving Ethan his treatment in the morning before school just to prepare my baby for the day’s activities. I noticed on Tuesday that there is a little boy who is coughing and has a runny nose so I’m dreading that Ethan will follow. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for Ethan to stay healthy. Also, I sent two bottles of water for Ethan. I have to mix his liquid with Honey Thick in order for Ethan to drink in school. I’ve been watching to make certain that Ethan doesn’t overdue in his intake of liquid without being thicken. Ethan is becoming an expert in drinking from a cup and also in feeding himself with a spoon.

When we dropped Ethan off this morning, his teacher told me that Ethan’s been pushing another kid around. The teacher said that at times, this kid may have deserved it…of course I said no kids deserve to be pushed around. I told the teacher that we do not condone this type of behavior so I asked the teacher to say “NO, NO” to Ethan with her finger pointing at him. Ethan saw and heard what I was saying and doing so he turned around to face me. I then told Ethan that he is not allowed to push, hit, or shove another person. I told Ethan that he must be a good boy and must share. Ethan looked at me with a concentrated face so I kissed his nose and told my baby that I love him. Ethan’s teacher said that this behavior is new, it’s only been one week, and she said that Ethan is very protective of his space, toys and other stuff that he is playing with. She said that the other boy's been getting into Ethan’s space, face, and taunting Ethan too. No excuses...we do not encourage Ethan to be rough with anyone. I told the teacher that Ethan tends to want to be left alone to play and does not like for people to bother or fuss with him when he is in that mode. Ethan is becoming very independent and wants some time for himself. It’s hard too because when Ethan is with us, he has free range to explore and to express himself without any obstructions. When he is with others, he gets pushed and pulled and at times been hurt by others, which is hard on us especially when we don’t want Ethan to learn this behavior. Plus, it’s difficult for us to control other people’s children so we just try to teach Ethan by telling him no or it’s not nice to do that or you should share or the other kid wants time out and not want to play right now. If and only if we can get other parents to do the same for their kids, we would not have this issue of bullying, right?

No comments: