Wednesday, September 22, 2010

To sleep or not to sleep

I've been trying to keep Ethan on his bedtime schedule, but it's been very difficult. Just because he is sick does not mean that I can let him stay up late! Ethan's temperature is back to normal but he still has a runny nose. He was well enough for us to take him to get his flu shot today; however, Van does not want Ethan to return to school until his is 100%. I don't want to be a bad mom and send Ethan off to school especially when he is still not feeling well.
Well, I actually would prefer for Ethan to be home with me but I know that that is selfish. I feel that I am missing out on things that Ethan is learning. I want to watch Ethan every moment possible...from morning to night. One of my favorite moments is before Ethan is completely awake but still in a daze, Ethan would open his eyes (partially) and crack a perfect smile at me to let me know that he is safe, happy, and loved. Another moment is when Ethan is tired and ready for bed. He'll snuggled with me with my face smothering his and he'll run his hand through my hair. I guess this calms him down because in no less that a second, Ethan will be knocked out!
Tonight, like the other night (Sunday night), Van and I tried to put Ethan to bed. Well Sunday night, Ethan had a temperature and I know that it was really difficult for him to sleep. I was up with him while he tossed and turned ~ I think I had about four hours of sleep! Of course tonight, since Ethan was feeling much better, daddy wanted to "play" with him. Ethan had just finished wrestling with daddy so he was too excited to go to sleep! I've asked Van to not play so rough with Ethan, especially when it is bed time. Of course, my husband does not understand what "not playing rough" is. Van said not to worry, he would have Ethan in bed by 8:30...of course, it was 9:40 when Ethan finally fell asleep. He was not a happy camper when I forced a bear hug on him to keep him still. Ethan gave a heart wrenching cry and it took a lot to keep me from letting Ethan go. I hated to hear my baby boy so upset but I hope that one day, Ethan may come to understand that I was just trying to help him. I don't want him to wake up so tired, even though he will not be going to school tomorrow. Van caved in and asked me to let Ethan go. Ethan got out of my bear hold and wandered around the room for a bit longer. I know that Ethan finally got tired because he came and tugged on my toes. I pulled him up to bed and hugged him as I've always done. Ethan stroke his left hand in my hair and in one second ~ Ethan was asleep! I asked Van to get his medicine for the nebulizer and had it on but Ethan did not move. I know that he was so tired ~ his eyes were gleaming and puffy. He tries his heart out to fight the sleepiness but I know that snuggling with him will usually do it!

There are times where Ethan just doesn't seem to want to go to sleep ~ I feel that he may think that he is missing out on things. It's a hard decision to make, to sleep or not to sleep! Thank goodness that he is still young and can't defy us for a long time. I understand my dear little one that every moment is worth savoring and going to sleep seems to take away those moments...I promise you, you are missed while you are sleeping but what a joy it is to see you when you are awake. You are mommy's sunshine ~ always amazing! I love seeing life through your eyes ~ so full of wonder and so full of love bursting through your smiles. I am so thankful that I am your mother!

No comments: