Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Having a daughter

Oh how much I just LOVE having the opportunities to do mother-daughter stuff.  

I remember that in years passed, someone was so adamant about NOT wanting to have a daughter.   That person who insisted that hell would freeze over if she was to have a girl (she was quite blunt about her disgust of how I had spoiled MY daughter).  I don’t know if knowing that her own mother did not want to have another child (her) was the root of her fear (I’m not a psychologist).   Or that she was not ready to be a parent herself but the choices that she had made put her in that situation.  

All that I remember was that one of her reason of NOT wanting a daughter was because she felt that my husband and I spoiled our precious baby girl.  Imagine that?  Parents spoiling their child, be it a girl or a boy!  At that time, my daughter was about two but I paid her no mind to that negative vibe.  Maybe she did not feel that she was blessed enough to be given the privilege of being a mother to a daughter.  Unlike me, she may have never had that struggle of conceiving.  Unlike me, she was blatant of her hatred towards my relationship with my daughter.  Unlike me, I prayed for so many years for a child to love.  

My husband and I were over the moon when we found out that we were expecting.  Anyhow, I prayed for that person to be blessed with one of her own so that she may have a change of heart.  My husband had already warned me that others would never see the goodness in someone else IF they don’t have that goodness in them.  I guess I’m more hopeful that others would appreciate the gift of a daughter’s unconditional love once they’ve gotten the opportunity.

For me, growing up without having my mother’s involvement with trivial “teenager” stuff like my first crush, my first love, shopping for a homecoming dress, a prom dress, making decisions about what classes to take in high school, making decisions about religion, or choosing what college to attend…makes it even more important for me to do this with my daughter.  I’m not faulting my mother for not having the opportunity to share my life’s growing pains but I am thankful because through these experiences, it has made me who I am as a mother (or how I want to be as a mother).

Next blog…I will post my daughter’s prom dresses.  Yes, we went crazy shopping and I gave her three choices to choose from…all of the dresses were just perfect; however, I can’t wait until she finally decides on which one to wear!

No comments: