Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Now that you've asked - PYO

 
Family members asked about our strawberry picking venture that we took this past Saturday.  Now, don't take this the wrong way ~ my husband's remedy to "PYO" is that it's just more convenient and time saving to run to the grocery stores.  My reasoning to take my children out to "pick-you-own" farms is to experience life outside of what they are exposed to.
 I grew up learning how to find certain fruits and vegetables that are edible in the wild.  I even learned to find certain grass that we could use to stir fried!  I've always loved being able to climb coconut trees, mango trees, lychee trees, logan trees, and fruit bearing trees that I could find growing up in Laos, Thailand and even the United States!  I just want my children to appreciate what Mother Nature has provided and also give them the opportunity to have lasting memories of being "young".  Yes, my family's trips in the fall for apples were more successful but I wanted to find that perfect strawberry.  Without a beat, we got up really early to hit the road.  Just me, Ethan and Marisa since Van were off to work.  I decided to take my children to the farm closer to our home but of course, we were three weeks late on the picking!  Although it was a nice experience and we were able to take some pictures, my husband would be correct that the stores had better selections than what I was able to pick for $1.00 at the farm.  Hey, Ethan loved it and I love it...for my teenager...she was really happy to be out of the sun and into the car with her music blasting away :~)  I have not given up...we are due to go cherry picking soon! 

No comments: